Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, August 7, 2016

Corbin's Golden Birthday



Has it really been a whole year since I posted on the blog?  Yes, that year went fast, and life is getting crazier as the kids get older.  But, I could let a birthday go by without writing a letter to Corbin.  Thankfully I didn't start this until his fifth birthday, so I'm not forgetting about Garrett.  Since I rarely use my big camera anymore, thanks to my iPhone, I don't have the few minutes with the laptop as frequently as I used to.

Corbin, it's your Golden Birthday; a birthday with extra special symbolism given your birthdate: 8/8/08.  You've had a big year.

You've learned how to waterski, and while I always knew you were determined and focused, it was wonderful to see those traits come out while on the lake.  After 2 1/2 hours of saying "hit it" yet falling down, you said "hit it" and stood up.  I was in the water with you holding you steady, and let go of you as you said "hit it."  Having let go of you (literally) I felt I was letting go emotionally as you skied across the lake.  No longer were you a little kid that needed mommy's help.  You were clearly a big kid that's got this.  I'm not gonna lie, it tugged at my mommy heart strings.  But to see the pride and smile on your face on this accomplishment wiped away they angst and all I felt was your pride.  When asked how it felt, your response was "That took a long time, but I didn't give up!"  What a mature response that was.  A sign of how much you have matured this year.

Also this year you mastered riding a bike.  While you knew how a few years ago, an unfortunate fall freaked you out.  The local bike park is your favorite place; but only with Daddy.

This past year you also started a new school (again!).  I'm constantly amazed at how open you are to new situations.  You take them on with equal parts excitement and critical thinking.

You still have a passion for science and have declared you are going to be a scientist that invents things when you grow up.  I have no doubt you will do just that.  You ask great questions and are always a step ahead of us.

Love,

Mommy

No comments: