Just last weekend we celebrated your 7th birthday. This past year was full of firsts -- first day of school, first visit from the Tooth Fairy, and first stay in Montana without mom and dad. We've also seen your responsibility and maturity flourish this year. When Garrett throws a fit, you're the first to look at me side eyed, as if to say "What's wrong with him?!" It's ironic - since you were an even more passionate 3 year old than Garrett - and refreshing all at the same time.
Speaking of Garrett, you are his idol. While you were away in Montana, he told us that if someone at school was mean to him, he didn't have to worry about it and that "Corbin would take care of me." I have no doubt he is right. You are a fantastic big brother.
Your current passions are trivia, riddles, Hink-Pinks, and anything related to science. Your favorite birthday presents reflect that -- a big book of riddles, a microscope and a rocket science kit. Star Wars is still a consistent theme in our house. In fact, you fought the Dark Side at Disneyland this year. You can answer brain teasers geared toward kids twice your age. This wisdom will continue to keep Daddy and I on our toes.
You have also learned to face a challenge head on. Last year, you decided you wanted to water ski. You're lucky enough to have an ex-swim coach as a mom, so I told you that you have to swim the whole length of the pool by yourself first. I would sign you up for lessons, but you had to do the work. After 6 months or so of lessons, you swam the length of the pool in both crawl stroke & back stroke. After that lesson the first words out of your mouth was, "See Mommy, I proved it!" And so, you took on water skiing this summer - and nearly pulled me out of the boat.
As you enter 1st grade in just 3 short weeks, you will be once again joining Ainsley at school. You are very excited to be at this new school and taking it all in stride. I have faith that all that you've learned about making friends this past year serves you well in the new school community. I hope you keep asking questions. Good questions. This will be your path to happiness and success.
We are constantly proud of the insights you come up with and the observations of the world you make. Daddy and I are proud of you, Corbin.
Love, Mommy
No comments:
Post a Comment