For Corbin's last birthday, I got him the BOB books. He has been learning to write letters, knows all the sounds they make and has begun learning how individual letters make words in preschool. But, he hasn't been interested in these at all. At times during our nightly book routine, he would "read" the books to us, but it was really reciting books that we had read hundreds, if not thousands of times. Last night, he picked out 3 of the Bob Books, and read them all by himself sounding out each and every letter. Needless to say, we were quite the proud parents.
During our snuggle time, I told him how proud I was of him sounding out each letter and reading the books by himself. He sighed, got a sheepish grin and said, "I can read, Mommy!" I can't remember a time I've seen him beem with such pride. After all, we still can't seem to master night time potty training. I thought for sure that would come before reading.
I had this fear that it would be a 1 night thing and he would move back to one of his favorite books - either Look out for Mater or Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site. But, he picked them out again and read them just as enthusiastically.
I truly hope this continues and he develops not only a love of reading by a love of learning.
No comments:
Post a Comment