Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Gallstones

After 3 weeks of Dr.'s visits, blood tests, and an MRI, it's official that the source of my agany was gall stones. One got lodged in my digestive track, which is what tripped up my liver function, causing the jaundice and was also the source of the severe cramping.  This means that I need to have my gall bladder out.  The good news is my liver function is quickly going back to normal.

Unlike kidney stones, they can't just dissolve the stones, as it is an  underlying issue and the stones will just return.  The odds me getting another stone stuck is 100%.  I went to the surgeon this morning and he was able to schedule my surgery for tomorrow.  Quick turnaround, but the other choice was next Thursday at 2:30 in the afternoon, or not until after Thanksgiving.  Since I have to fast for 12 hours before surgery, waiting until 2:30 pm didn't sound like fun, and since I can't eat fat until the gallbladder is removed, after Thanksgiving was not an option either.  So, tomorrow it is. 

I'll be away from work for about a week give or take a day or two, depending on how I heal and how I feel.  This is a day surgery, and I'll likely be home by dinner time tomorrow night.  Everyone I've talked to has felt way better than pre-surgery within a day or two, so I'm hoping I'll have the same experience. 

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

J said...

Good luck! I have heard the same that you'll feel better afterwards. Let us know if you need anything.

KATIE RUSSELL said...

Luck! A speedy and healthy recovery are also wished for you, my dear. You are in our thoughts today and this week.