Our Family

Our Family

Monday, July 19, 2010

Trip to Napa

Back in March, I got the "Brand Builder" honor at work, an annual award given to 1 marketing person.  The reward for this honor is a 4 day, 3 night trip for Mike and I to Napa, which we went on this past weekend.  Reader beware: this entry is going to be long.

It was the first time that both Mike and I had left Corbin overnight with someone else.  Once I had the 3 pages of "notes" and "don't forgets" about Corbin left for my Mom - even though I knew in my heart he was in very good, loving hands, those notes did help me sleep better - we were off to the airport for our food and wine extravaganza in Napa. 

Once we checked in to the Villagio Inn and Spa, I was off to the spa for a massage.  The most wonderful massage ever.  The next day, we headed up to the Culinary Institute of America at Greystone.  The gift shop is like being a kid in a candy shop for anyone who likes to cook.  There are more gadgets than you could ever dream of.  Both Mike and I went a little crazy in the gift shop -- crazy enough we decided to ship all of our goodies back rather than carry that heavy bag around an airport.  While we were there we also did an olive oil and food pairing tasting.  This was really similar to a wine flight, each paired with a different food.  The most interesting pairing was the chocolate mouse w/sea salt.  The chef instructed us to drizzle 1 tsp of one of the olive oils over the chocolate mouse.  After exchanging, "seriously?" looks with each other, we did as we were told.  It was FANTASTIC!

We finished up just in time for our 11:30 lunch reservations.  It was so fun to see all of the students working away in the open kitchen.  Mike ordered the grilled scallops with spring pea sprout salad, and I ordered the clam linguini.  Both were excellently prepared with each of the flavors impecably balanced.

Mike's Grilled Scallops
Clam linguini.  Mmmm!














Saturday's highlight was heading over to Sonoma where we made a stop at Domaine Carneros for a glass of sparkling wine.  We talked about going on thier tour, but after grabbing a table out on thier patio and soaking up the sun and the view, we quickly crossed that off the list and continued to sit there soaking it all up.

The view from the front of Domaine Carneros














The reason we blew off most of our Sonoma plans.  Was it the view, the sun or the sparkling wine?  Pretty sure it was a mixture of all 3. 














The weekend's food and wine extravaganza was topped off with a tour and wine dinner in the caves at Stag's Leap Wine Cellars   On the tour of the caves, we tasted the not yet released 2007 vintage of the Fay Cab Sauv., Stag's Leap Vineyard Cab Sauv., and the Cask 23. They were all very good, and I can't wait until they release.

Standing in front of the Fay Vineyard at Stag's Leap.














Inside the caves.  The last time we toured a winery cave, we were at Tignaello in Tuscany, before Corbin was born.  Time flies!

The four course meal started off with a Grilled Lobster salad tossed with a Blood Orange Vinagerette with the 2007 Karia Chardonnay, went on to Cocoa Dusted Grilled Venison and Dried Plum Demi Glace paired with the 2006 Cask 23 Cabernet Sauvignon, continued with a trio of Cheeses paired with the 2001 Cask 23, and was topped off with a Chocolate Espresso Pate with Port Cured Cherries, paired with a 2005 Dessert Cab. Sauv.  On the way back to our hotel, I asked Mike what he thought, and he resonded, "I'm full and I'm happy."  That pretty much summed up the entire weekend.

We thoroughly loved our weekend away and were even more excited to come home and be with Corbin.  Thanks, Mom for hanging with Booga while we wined, dined and totally endulged! 



1 comment:

Natalie Naomi said...

Congrats on the cool work honor! The trip looks fabulous and it is great to hear you had a good time.

And congrats on the big milestone of nights away from Corbin.