Corbin's vocabulary has exploded in the last couple weeks. So much so that he's saying some pretty funny things. I always think I'll remember them, but am finding that I forget them in no time. Warning: this is one of those blog posts that is strictly for my memory.
Scene - Yesterday morning getting ready for work/school.
Me, "Sigh"
Corbin, "What's wrong, Mommy?"
Me, "Oh, it's just Monday and sometimes Mondays make me tired."
Corbin, "I have an idea!"
Me, "What's that?"
Corbin, "Let's look for spider webs!"
Scene - Corbin got an "owie" on his finger when I picked him up from daycare yesterday. After many tears, I asked, "Should we get some ice for your owie?"
Corbin, "no"
Me, "Just kisses then?"
Corbin, "No, Superman underwear on it to feel better."
On another note, we're having a rough time getting him dressed in the morning without a significant power struggle. We've offered him choices of what he wears, done time outs for misbehaving, etc. The other day, after round and round of choices and time outs, I was pretty frustrated. Over the past couple weeks, I've been reading, "Parenting with Love and Logic", and all of a sudden it occured to me that his lack of cooperation was not a reason for me to be late to work and that I should let the natural consequences of him not being completely dressed work to my advantage. So, I picked him up, barefoot and without a coat and loaded him in the car. He was not happy about this. Once to daycare, I made him walk up to the door barefoot (it's only about a 15 foot sidewalk and it was a rather mild morning). He complained the whole way that he was cold and his feet were wet. As soon as he got inside, I've never seen him put his socks and shoes on so fast! Every day since, he's put his socks and shoes on without the power struggle, and reminds us to wear a coat so we don't get cold. While a part of me wishes I would've thought of this 3 weeks ago, I probably wouldn't have followed through if the weather were any colder.
No comments:
Post a Comment