Life has been utterly crazy lately. Hopefully I will look back at this post in a year or two and be able to laugh.
First up, Mike's work schedule. He got a new job at T-Mobile and within 2 weeks was put on a project that meant working from 4 pm - 1 am. Not exactly the family-friendly work scenario that was talked up in the interview process. This meant I was playing the role of a single mom for 4 weeks straight. On Mike and Corbin's road trip to Montana, Corbin totally bonded with him and all he wants is "daddy time." Very cute, and also heart breaking that he now only sees Mike on the weekends. As a result, his behavior has been less than stellar. For example, he threw his dinner plate full of food on the floor one night (something he has NEVER done) simply because I wouldn't let the TV be on during dinner - a rule that has always been a factor in our house. When Mike is around, he is a dream child. Poor kid is just trying to make sense of our upside down schedule these days.
Through all of this I have learned two things. 1) Single moms and military wives are Superheroes. 2) I am very lucky to have a village so close to help keep the crazy in check.
Next up is Garrett's speech. In the midst of crazy schedules and weird sleeping hours in our house, we had Garrett in for an evaluation for his speech. It was something that had been weighing on me for a few months and when the pediatrician told me that if I was losing sleep over it, it was time to get him in I knew I needed to take action. The eval itself was a breeze for Garrett. He got to play with toys. For me, it was overwhelming - and Mike was still asleep so I was going it alone. The therapists asked many questions about his his, happiness, social interactions, etc. all while evaluating him on every level: gross and fine motor skills, speech and problem solving. To qualify for therapy, a child has to be more than 25% delayed in any of those areas. My mommy gut was right, and Garrett will begin therapy after Thanksgiving. The beauty of this is the therapist will go to day care.
Finally, my work, which has been unusually crazy. Like doing a 4 month project in 4 weeks from start to finish while having a hard 8 - 5 schedule everyday crazy, coupled with business travel. How does Mom leave home when Dad is working hours in which day care isn't open? You call in reinforcements! Thankfully Bubbie (Mike's mom) was able to come to the rescue and help with the boys so I could travel and Mike could still work. Yet again, our village comes to the rescue. We are thrilled that she will get to stay with us through Thanksgiving. I'm pretty sure the boys - all 3 of them - will NOT want her to leave.
Hopefully the holidays will be much, much quieter around our house.
No comments:
Post a Comment