I rarely, if ever, write about the working mom/stay at home mom dynamic. I think because my circle of friends is a mix of stay at home and working moms, we've all come to the realization that we do what we do because it's best for ourselves and our family.
But, with the recent string of business trips I've had lately (4 in the last month, I think--I've lost track), I had some extra time on my hands to read magazines and blogs on airplanes and in hotel rooms. A recent blog entry I read on a mommy blog struck me. It was written by a stay at home mom and the main message was that she was raising more stable kids and creating the "home all kids want to hang out in" because her cupcakes were home made, she was there to make snacks, and hang out with the kids while the working moms were flitting about the country with their designer bags and designer shoes on thier business trips. It was the mention of the business trips that got to me. Corbin will be fine with store-bought cupcakes; Costco does a great job. I think it was because I was on a business trip that it especially struck a chord. Last I checked, I didn't have the designer bags nor enjoyed business travel. Granted, I get to go to cool places, but what people don't see is the fact I do just as many errands that I would've done if I was in town, they're just condensed in fewer days. I'm frazzeled before I leave, and depressed as I leave my boys behind. It's not glamerous. The bright side is when I get home in the middle of the day, instead of heading to the office, I go straight to day care to get Corbin and we spend the afternoon together. It's always some of my favorite memories. He's thrilled to see me, I'm thrilled to see him, and the extra bonus is I have an extra set of patience for his typical 2-year old behavior. The extra set of patience on my part leads to much better behavior on his part. My only regret is that I'm not more patient more of the time. Doesn't every mother feel that way?
Even reading those things and having the usual "Am I doing the right thing?" internal discussion, I realize I work because I love my job, and it's right for our family. A decision I return to time and time again.
No comments:
Post a Comment